Monday, May 14, 2007

Think Different

April 1976 - The Birth of the Apple I

Apple ISteve "iWoz" Wozniak, Steve Jobs, and Ron Wayne were the masterminds of a revolution when they formed Apple Computers. In the early days of computing, most home computers were available to users as "build-it-yourself" kits. Apple Computers, on the other hand, were among the first to offer the public fully assembled personal computers. "Fully assembled" by 1970s standards meant that the user was still required to add two individual power supplies, an ASCII keyboard, and a monitor.

Boot-Up TapeOriginally priced at $666.66 because of Wozniak's love for repeating decimals, the Apple I was loaded with a 1MHz/8-bit processor and 4 KiB (4096 bytes) of RAM. Some of the options available included RAM card upgrades and a cassette interface board. Today, fewer than 50 of the 200 original hand built Apple I computers are known to exist.


June 2006: The Birth of the Replica I

Assembly Language Vince Briel is an owner and enthusiast of the Apple I. His passion for vintage computers has led to the Replica I, a fully functional clone of the Apple I's motherboard. Although somewhat smaller and built with many modern parts, the heart of the Replica I is the same MOS Technology 6502 microprocessor that resided in the original. Best of all, iWoz has given his blessing to the entire project. So today, with a little soldering skill and an understanding of the archaic Assembly Language, you too can now enjoy a little piece of history!